11/12/20200

It was time to visit the workshop, to cut the wood and make an assembly! The connections would be made with staples, however the teacher told me that not everybody might have a staplegun at home. I cannot argue that! It is an opportunity to use the 3D printer for parts, I will now also use it for the connections. The first semi-assembly was still made with the staplegun.


I started with cutting everything. Next step was the assembly, it was nice to see it in real wood, something different than ink on paper.


The main grid assembly worked out fine, however, i had to sand the endings of my cutted wood to make them fit into the 3D printed fittings. My next prints will have a 0.5 mm margin in order to avoid this extra sanding step. Another annoying problem that occurd was that some sticks of the Y axis did not have enough space to fit the fittings. This resulted that I moved all the mirrors up with a certain height. The 3D printed fittings are attached with screws, I did predrill to prevent the wood from cracking.


The wooden parts for the mirrorholder are fitting great! I left some spacing at the sides with an idea that I could attach the mirrors by putting them inbetween screws. This seemed as another annyoing step, I later will develop fittings that can be printed. The entire construction looks good, I am happy with the result and the faults I encountered with this workshop session.